VIDEOGRAPHER/TEACHING ARTIST, URBAN IMPROV
This position requires passion for creative youth development and deep knowledge of applied theatre, social-emotional learning skills, and trauma-informed and culturally responsive practice. An Urban Improv Teaching Artist will have experience in performances for youth audiences, working with under-resourced communities, generating multi-media content or digital communications, and reflect the student body served. Rehearsal for Life is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position status: Part-time, non-exempt (.325 FTE)
Salary: Starting: $27,000
Benefits: Competitive benefits package
Schedule: ~16 hrs week for 36 weeks, mid-September through mid June, Tuesday-Friday, generally between the hours of 9am-2pm
- Serve as Facilitator, Actor/Performer, Creative Collaborator for partner schools, community-based organizations, and community events.
- Record video content of ensemble scene work for school/partner access to assist with program delivery.
- Serve as a community ambassador, representing RFL to support the organization’s goals.
- Lead and co-lead classroom visits (virtual or face-to-face, only when public health conditions warrant).
- Engage in a specialization focus (i.e. video production, production assistant etc) for additional compensation as agreed upon with Executive & Artistic Director.
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings and participate in professional development.
- Attend/participate in development/community events.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- 3+ years of service as a teaching artist in a school /youth organization setting.
- 3+ years performing in an ensemble and experience with improv.
- Experience with videography and/or video editing.
- Skilled in vocal music and/or spoken word performance.
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong alignment with the Rehearsal for Life mission, vision, and values.
- Experience engaging audiences in social media platforms.
- Expertise in applied theatre, social-emotional learning, and creative youth development.
- Proven ability to influence and motivate others, with a keen understanding of how to impact individual and group mindset, knowledge, and skills.
Rehearsal for Life, Inc. (formerly Urban Improv/Freelance Players) is an organization that uses theatre to promote social change through our two primary programs: Urban Improv and Freelance Players. Our mission is to strengthen young people’s social and emotional skills for every stage in life, through dialogue, creativity, and performance.
Rehearsal for Life’s Urban Improv program serves high-need school communities through structured improvisational theatre workshops that provide a safe space for young people to practice self expression, empathy, conflict resolution and decision-making. Begun in 1992 in response to escalating city violence, Urban Improv continues to provide key programmatic support to schools and organizations seeking to create inclusive and supportive communities where all students feel known, connected to community, and empowered to thrive.
Our Values: Creativity, Empathy, Respect, Cooperation, Empowered Self-Expression, Diversity & Inclusion, Positive Social Change
For more information about Urban Improv, please visit rehearsalforlife.org/urban-improv.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line: Your Name – Teaching Artist. Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.
Thank you very much for your interest in Rehearsal for Life. We look forward to hearing from you and discussing how we can work together to empower Boston youth.