Rehearsal for Life is seeking a substitute teaching artist for periodic contractual employment. This position requires passion for creative youth development and deep knowledge of applied theatre, social-emotional learning skills and trauma-informed, culturally responsive practice. An Urban Improv Teaching Artist will have experience in performance for youth audiences, working with under-resourced communities and generating multi-media content or digital communications, and will reflect the student body served. Rehearsal for Life is an equal opportunity employer.
Position status:Part-time; contract
Compensation: $35/hour; contract payment; (initial training period paid at stipend rate of $100 per 4-hour day)
* Flexible schedule (weekdays), begins late January/early February 2021
* This is an on-call position – hours are variable, as you will be brought in on an as-needed basis, with the only immediate exception being the initial training period
- Serve as Facilitator, Actor/Performer and Creative Collaborator for partner schools, community-based organizations, and community events.
- Provide self-generated video content if needed during contracted work hours.
- Serve as a community ambassador, representing RFL to support the organization’s goals.
- Lead and co-lead classroom visits (virtual or face-to-face, only when public-health conditions warrant).
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- 3+ years of service as a teaching artist in a school/youth organization setting.
- 3+ years performing in an ensemble and experience with improv.
- Skilled in vocal music and/or spoken-word performance.
- Strong alignment with the Rehearsal for Life’s mission, vision and values.
- Experience engaging audiences in social media and teaching through virtual platforms.
- Expertise in applied theatre, social-emotional learning and creative youth development.
- A keen understanding of how to impact individual and group mindset, knowledge and skills.
- Reflects and represents the diverse community served.
- Fluency in a second language (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Cantonese or Vietnamese) preferred.
Rehearsal for Life, Inc. (formerly Urban Improv/Freelance Players) is an organization that uses theatre to promote social change through our two primary programs: Urban Improv and Freelance Players. Our mission is to strengthen young people’s social and emotional skills for every stage in life, through dialogue, creativity and performance.
Rehearsal for Life’s Urban Improv program serves high-need school communities through structured improvisational theatre workshops that provide a safe space for young people to practice self expression, empathy, conflict resolution and responsible decision-making. Begun in 1992 in response to escalating city violence, Urban Improv continues to provide key programmatic support to schools and organizations seeking to create inclusive and supportive communities where all students feel known, connected to community and empowered to thrive.
Our Values: Creativity, Empathy, Respect, Cooperation, Empowered Self-Expression, Diversity & Inclusion and Positive Social Change.
For more information, please visit www.rehearsalforlife.org.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: Your Name – Teaching Artist.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. Thank you very much for your interest in Rehearsal for Life. We look forward to hearing from you and discussing how we can work together to empower Boston youth.
Rehearsal for Life
670 Centre Street, Ste 8
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130