Troupe Music Director, Freelance Players
Head of Program and Creative Director, Freelance Players
Rehearsal For Life’s after school theater program, Freelance Players is looking for a dynamic, creative teaching artist to join their team as Troupe Music Director for one of their youth performing arts troupes. We are looking for someone for our Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 sessions. As Troupe Music Director you will work in collaboration with the creative team to rehearse and produce an original musical while nurturing an environment of community, creativity and self expression. As a process based multi-arts program dedicated to empowering young people, it is our ultimate goal that through the creative process we are creating a transformative space where all young people feel seen, heard and celebrated for who they are. We are looking for someone who will support this goal!
Approx. 2.25 hrs/wk during rehearsals
Approx. 15-20 hrs/wk during production week
Part time, non-exempt, contract.
Salary Range: $1500-$2500 per session
Schedule: Friday afternoons 3:30-5:45
Start date: 9/9
Production week: 1/23-1/27
Start date: 2/10
Production week: 5/1-5/5
Location: Driscoll School
64 Westbourne Terrace, Brookline, MA 02446
- Prepare and teach warm-ups at the start of each rehearsal
- Collaborate on auditions and casting of the show in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization
- Teach the score while engaging the students on voice instruction and blending strategies
- Attend and actively participate in all scheduled rehearsals:
Start Dates to be Confirmed by Artistic Director
- Production weeks
Monday-Friday afternoon rehearsals the week leading up to performances
At least two performances per troupe per session to be determined by the Artistic Director
- Attend Rehearsal for Life and Freelance Players events and meetings (e.g. Winter Party and Spring Festival)
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Choreographer on the community and relationships built within the troupe.
- Observe and mediate student behavior and skill building to support evaluation measures and inform practice
- At least 2 years of direct experience music directing in an arts education environment
- BA in music and arts education preferred
- Knowledge of a wide variety of musical styles and ability to teach these styles
- Enthusiasm for working with youth in an arts education environment
- Enthusiasm for working in a creative and collaborative environment
- Demonstrate an understanding and implementation of RFL missions and goals
- Interest in seeking and engaging in continuous knowledge of social and emotional
learning (SEL) skills and effective K-12 instructional practices
- All Rehearsal For Life employees are required to provide proof of vaccination against Covid-19
Rehearsal for Life, Inc. (formerly Urban Improv/Freelance Players) is an organization that uses theater to promote social change through our two primary programs: Urban Improv and Freelance Players. Our mission is to strengthen young people’s social and emotional skills for every stage in life, through dialogue, creativity, and performance.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in the subject line: Your Name – FLP Troupe Music Director
Applicants that align with our search will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. Thank you for your interest in Rehearsal for Life.
Rehearsal for Life
PO Box 300037
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130